Assistant Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS)
For pupils receiving music lessons at LEA maintained schools, we offer the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme. This allows the purchase of musical instruments VAT free. However, this is a voluntary scheme and not all schools, music services/authorities will participate.
How does it work?
- Once the instrument has been chosen, the parent/pupil should ask the school to place an official order with Mickleburgh Ltd.
- The parent pays the school the ex-VAT price for the instrument plus any administration charge.
- We supply the instrument to the school.
- The school reclaim the VAT on the instrument in the same way as any other purchases they make.
- The school gives the instrument to the student.
Surely there’s a catch?
No, the criteria are simply:
- The student must be attending an LEA maintained school.
- The School or LEA must place an order for the instrument, take delivery and be invoiced.
- The transaction between the student and school must take place on their premises in a room normally used for teaching.
- The instrument must be appropriate to the students needs and abilities.
- The instrument must be portable and used for regular weekly lessons on school premises.
- The LEA must sell the instrument to the student at or below cost.
- Pupils of independent schools would not ordinarily benefit from the scheme-unless they receive regular tuition from the local authorities music service.
If you would like any further information please contact us on 0117 9241151.